Last week I received my law degree from Michigan State University College of Law. During the commencement, a professor spoke on the four major takeaways from law school. His words have stuck with me, and I wanted to take some time to jot down the things that I learned over the most difficult three years of my life. Because these lessons are personal, it probably comes as no surprise to those who know me that I have included CrossFit in the mix. This makes sense, as I started CrossFit right around the same time I entered law school. And honestly, the things I learned throughout law school overlap somewhat with what CrossFit has taught me.
Work Smart. We've all heard the saying, "hard work pays off." I'm not discounting that at all. It has proven to be true in my life. But, law school and CrossFit are full of people who work hard. Both arenas are very performance driven, which creates a competitive atmosphere. So, when everyone is working hard, how do you set yourself apart? You must work smart. CrossFit embraces this ideology. Efficiency in movements is crucial in order to accomplish the most work in the shortest amount of time. The same can be said with law school. With the volume of work given to a law student, effective time management becomes essential. There were so many times during school when I looked at my "To-Do" list for the day and thought there was no chance I could cross everything off before the sun came up again. Whether facing a ridiculously long reading assignment or an intimidating chipper, I learned that strategy is just as important as dedication. A good game plan often got me to a finish line that was out of sight at the outset. Granted, it took me some time to learn this lesson. Fortunately, I quickly learned that smashing my head through a wall did not make much sense when there was a doorway I could walk through. Hard work cannot be discounted. But, hard work that's been well thought out allows one's full potential to be realized.
Persevere. Law school and CrossFit share a common thread - they are both extremely demanding. Law school is like a mental "Murph" that lasts for three years. CrossFit is like being called on in class everyday. Each can beat you down, and each can be humbling. There have been times when I have been disappointed with my results in each of these endeavors. Whether it be a bad grade or a slower-than-anticipated time in a benchmark WOD, the feeling of failure carries a heavy weight. The clock keeps ticking, though. There's no time in either law school or CrossFit to feel sorry for yourself. Both arenas offered me the true but harsh reality that failure is a part of life. Those that can pick themselves up and brush off the dirt, or get back on the bar after a missed rep, are the ones that will succeed. Maybe not today, but definitely tomorrow. "Keep fighting the bully" a friend would always say. On to the next one.
Embrace the Community. Those who CrossFit and those who go to law school have separated themselves from the status quo somewhat. By no means am I suggesting that because I have done both I am better than anyone else. But, there are often times when a law student can only relate on an issue with another person who has been through it. The same goes with CrossFit. Each community has their own language, and once we get to talking with those inside our circle it leaves others shut out. Outsiders do not understand how we can see someone wearing a CrossFit shirt or carrying a legal book and automatically strike up a conversation (often lasting longer than the outsider desires and including the previously mentioned "foreign" language). For me, this is one of the best things about both communities. I am able to automatically relate with people I have never met. Mutual respect exists when a common goal is shared. Ever try hitting a WOD by yourself? How about studying solo for a final? I would much rather be laboring through a task alongside someone else. It's motivating, it's rewarding, and at the end of the day, it creates a genuine bond.
Resist Complacency. Shameless plug for the title of my blog, right? But seriously, becoming complacent is counter-intuitive for both law school and CrossFit. One of my favorite slogans I have seen in a box reads "Better Than Yesterday." And that's what we strive for. In both law school and CrossFit, I always worked for improvement. At times, this led me to overlook and undervalue my accomplishments. But, I'd rather be looking forward. A lot of athletes from around the world are looking ahead to the CrossFit Games taking place the last weekend of July. I will not be "Games Bound," at least not this year. As a recent law school graduate, I have my own "Games" to prepare for that just so happen to occur during the same week - the bar exam. But, like the competitors, I must use everyday to prepare. Sure, I am proud to have graduated law school, but I cannot become complacent. I'm confident that those athletes who qualified for Regionals feel the same way. So, whether you're studying for the bar or prepping for the Games stay on your grind. Wale coined the phrase "no days off." Along those same lines, I say resist complacency.
Those are my four takeaways. Reading over them, it is crazy how law school and CrossFit have paralleled each other in so many ways. In sum, I'm thankful to have been blessed with both opportunities. Each has taught me life lessons that have had an impact on who I am today.
No comments:
Post a Comment