Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Wide World of Sports

I've had the opportunity to see more live sporting events in the past week than I've had since I started law school.  Last Friday I was invited by a friend to go to see the Detroit Redwings play the Minnesota Wild.  There are rumors this is the last season the Wings will play in Joe Louis Arena, and I did not want to miss out on a chance to visit the place where the St. Louis Blues have often been on the wrong end of a beating.  In fact, I still have nightmares about this moment.




Anyway, the Joe was everything I thought it would be.  Full of fans in red and white cheering on their team.  Our seats were great - low enough to catch a lot of details you cannot see from the nosebleeds, but high enough to where you could see the entire ice and watch plays develop.


I even had a little bit of revenge as the night ended.  The Wings fell in OT!

The next day I headed south to Muncie, IN to watch my brother's final game as Ball State hosted the MAC leading Northern Illinois Huskies.  It was Tony's first game back after suffering a scary concussion against Akron.  I was glad to see him get back on the field and play strong.  It was not a great game to watch though.  The Cardinals got beat handily.  
 
On Sunday Natalie and I decided to head to CrossFit Ice in Chesterfield, MO to watch the final day of the 2nd Annual Heart of America Competition.  It was my first opportunity to see a bigger sized CrossFit competition.  I stayed pretty quiet for the most part and just observed the teams labor through a pretty brutal final WOD.  It was great to run into a few familiar faces, including Jeremy from CrossFit Springfield.  Here he is in action.


As you can hear, I came out of my quiet shell a bit during this WOD.  

Finally, we decided to try and scalp tickets to the Rams game.  This was my first experience buying tickets off the street.  It was stressful to say the least.  We eventually found a deal we thought was acceptable and got to our seats as the second quarter started.  The game was a blast!  Well, up until this happened.  


3rd and Goal from the 2 yard line, down 9 with 3 minutes and some change to go and you run a SHOVEL PASS?!  Unbelievable!  Had the Rams punched one in there, or even settled for a field goal, who knows what would have happened.  But, they turned it over and Natalie and I joined the rest of the bewildered fans that filed out of the Dome shaking our heads in confusion.

All in all it was a great weekend.  Not once did I think about my upcoming finals.  It's crazy how much my attitude and outlook has changed since my 1L year.  I wouldn't say I'm stress free at this point, but I definitely handle it much better.  It's better for me, and I think everyone else will agree that I'm better because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment