This blog will primarily serve to track my training over time, with the hope in mind that recording my progress (or regression) will provide a source of motivation and accountability. I have been following a CrossFit training methodology for a little over two years now and am convinced that it is the best way to achieve a well-rounded, high level of individual fitness. But, it has been admittedly difficult to stay dedicated on a consistent basis while being a law student. For me, it is a waste of time to pursue a goal without committing a full effort. I apply this mentality to every goal I set for myself, yet I have been inconsistent when it comes to my personal health and fitness. The time has come for that to change.
I bounced around trying to develop a title for my blog. "Resisting Complacency" seems to be the perfect fit for the approach I plan to take.
Complacency (kuhm'pley'suhn'see): a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug-satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc.
It is far too easy to fall into the comfort zone. While this is definitely true for fitness, I feel like it can be said for any aspect of life. It is something that I try to avoid because I know that there is always room for improvement. Again, this blog will serve primarily as a training log, but it will also give me an opportunity to put my thoughts in writing. I have no problem facing the fact that I'm a nerd. I enjoy writing. As with individual fitness, I strive to become a great writer. It's important to me now and will be increasingly important as I begin my legal career.
Alright, I know, this all sounds very serious. I would assume the black and white background only adds to the dullness. I'm not suggesting that I fail to sit back and enjoy my accomplishments. Nor do I overlook the many blessings I have be given. It's just that I fear becoming idle. Hard work pays off. Thankfully, I was taught this at a young age and have come to realize that it's true. That being said, I will now take the time to point out a few things that I'm always happy about and content with.
1. A family that is more supportive than I could ever give credit for. I realize not everyone can say this, and I try to never take it for granted.
Athletics have always been a staple in my family. My mom was a collegiate volleyball player and has been a volleyball coach (at the high school, college, and now middle school level) for as long as I've been alive, my dad was a collegiate basketball player and coached me growing up, and my younger brother is currently a collegiate football player finishing up his sophomore season. Do work 4-7!
2. I'm with a great girl who adds to this support on a daily basis. She's my best friend. She is also a CrossFitter - get it gurrrrrl!
3. I have another great girl in my life. I consider her the GDE ("Greatest Dog Ever" for those of you who aren't up on your Rob &
Big references). Meet Roxy!
4. Last but most certainly not least, I recently received a job offer! I will be serving as a law clerk to an Administrative Law Judge with the Drug Enforcement Agency after I take the bar exam this summer. I cannot wait to live in the Washington D.C. area. I anticipate my arrival to our Nation's capitol will be similar to John Wall's home court debut.
OK, maybe my Dougie isn't on Mr. Wall's level, but you all get the point. I'm hyped!
I think that's enough background information to get this blog off the ground. Hopefully I will stay pretty consistent with my posts and not flake out.



No comments:
Post a Comment